Saturday, March 19, 2011

Daily trail rides

I just finished a great two hour mountain bike ride on the So. Utah redrock.   I thought I might share some photos of the ride I take several days a week.   You may see my biking buddy George in some of the photos.  The above picture shows the view of the ridge we ride on taken from our front yard..
Below is the first difficult climb from Coral Canyon up to the water tank. It is steep - it took me three months of riding to get in good enough shape to make it to the top.  Now it's pretty easy


The next challenge is the steep hill down the backside of the watertank




From the bottom of this hill we go through a long tunnel that goes under I-15.   In the photo below you can see the light at the end of the tunnel



The next photo shows the steepest slick rock hill that I climb.  When I first started I would walk my bike up this hill but I can now make it up every time.



The above picture is the view from the top of Church Rocks looking back at the water tank.   The picture  below shows the downhill slope I call the  "Valley of Death".  Your really can't tell how steep it is in the picture.  I have done several spectacular falls going down this slope.  Thank goodness my skills have improved to the point that I can negociate the slope and rocks without falling.



The next challenge is a long uphill ride with several hundred yards of level slickrock at the bottom.   You can really get going fast on the slickrock to help you get up the hill behind it.



After the above hill, the trail levels out into a smooth dirt trail where I can ride fast.   I can ride this 2 mile section at 15 - 20 miles per hour..


After the level trail we run into sand.   The picture below show a sandy downslope followed by a steep uphill rock climb.   You kind of have to "float" your way down the sand and have some speed left to allow you some momentum to get up the hill.   For the first year of riding this trail,  I had to walk my bike up this hill.  I can now float the sand and make it up the hill about 50% of the time.



The next picture shows George on top of a ledge where we often stop to rest and solve the worlds problems.   This is one place we have to walk the bikes up because of of steep ledges.


The last major challenge is the "Impossible Rock Hill".   It has loose rocks at the bottom,  boulders in the middle that you have to weave you way between, and more small rocks near the top.  George and I try to make it up without stopping --  George has made it twice but I have yet to conquer this hill.   I made it about 2/3 up this morning --- the best I have done.   It's nice to have a challenge.


The rest of the ride is all downhill back to Coral Canyou.  I hope I havn't bored you with all these photos.  I have found mountain biking a great way to stay in shape.   This 12.7 mile ride used to take me 2 1/2 hours to complete --- I can do it now in 1 1/2 hours if I dont take too long solving the worlds problems with George on our rest.





1 comment:

  1. Dad, This is awesome! We love seeing your bike trip and seeing it through your eyes. It's fun to listen to your story telling via your description of the pictures. Congrats on becoming a blogger. We hope to see more posts from you and mom. Fun stuff! Love, David & Heather

    ReplyDelete